Friday, March 2, 2012

The return of the Genki...

So...back in December I talked about a crazy video the Ibara JETs did in the fall called Genki Taiso. Well, about a month ago we received a copy and it's been broadcasting on the local channels.

Genki Taiso is a play on Japan's radio taiso which is a morning warm-up exercise companies can do together to build up team spirit and promote health and all that jazz. Do you remember the first episode of Heroes? You know, when Heroes was actually *awesome*? And Hiro and his co-workers were doing those weird exercise moves? Yup, that's radio taiso. Apparently Japan got it from the US back in the 1920s (yay wikipedia) and was used for the soldiers in the 1930s-40s. Then Japan got owned and now well, we get things like this:


The atrocity starts around 0:15...


 I don't really see it too much at my schools; I think I've only seen it during the sports festival. My BOE does it every morning. The men do it while the women kind of sneak into the refresh room and wait it out. Even now I have people in town come up to me and tell me they saw me on TV. And my kids ask me to do it. Sigh. The things I do for internationalization...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...