Monday, February 11, 2013

JET Adventures Stateside: Visit Japan @ SF

This weekend was the Visit Japan Campaign hosted by the Japanese Consulate of San Francisco. This was also my first time volunteering as a JET Alumni and I have to say I had so much fun I wouldn't mind doing it again.


The weather was perfect on both days for the event. Visit Japan was held in San Francisco's Union Square and was comprised of Japanese tourism agencies, food, tech and fashion companies. In the main tent there were performances and presentations, from taiko (including San Jose Taiko yeaaaa) to ikebana and traditional Japanese dancing. There was also a food sampling area where you can taste Japanese food and a cup of sake for $1. The event was relatively small, but it was a pretty good turn out and I was able to talk to a lot of people who were interested in the JET Program or were supporters of it. It was really awesome to see parents and other alumni members coming by and showing their support. Not only was I able to see my fellow Okayama JET girlfriends, but I was able to talk to people who can more or less relate to the experience I had in Japan.

Not bad for a trial run for this Visit Japan event. I think if there were more things for sale, even if it's just food would make the event even more popular. I had a few people ask me if there was food for sale and I was really surprised there wasn't any.



As a bonus, here's a clip of one of San Jose Taiko's piece. I can't believe I auditioned for this group. These guys are amazing.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...